*Photo taken in Nami Island, South Korea (July 22-25, 2015)
September 11, 2015
The past months had been a one roller coaster ride for me. One day in early July, I just found myself resigning from one of the companies I’ve learned to love- a decision I was never sure of but felt so strongly about. A week after, the last among my siblings finally settled down in our province, Batangas. Then I packed my bags and left to to the beautiful city of Seoul with my sister. And when I came back, I was fortunate to start working, yet again, for the fourth time in my life. And I’ve never felt so blessed.
With all these things in mind, I’ve proven that life will throw you a curve ball, unexpectedly anytime, anywhere. And you will never ever be prepared. But things always happen for a reason. And the whole universe will conspire to get what you truly deserve.
You’ll fall seven times, stand up eight.
Given this, one morning I just found myself listing the values I’ve learned along those 24 years of my life. Something I can hold on to, as general rules, to my road to 25th.
24 Rules or Commandments to Awesomeness:
- Be nice to people, even if they’re not nice to you. As a golden rule, do to others what you want them to do to you. Tough love it is!
- Act your age, think smarter and speak with good words.
- Be gentle. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle. Cut them some slack.
- Trust and be trusted.
- Listen and then be heard.
- Stop complaining. Well stop is a big word, avoid if possible to whine. Treat everything in perspective. Feel and act blessed.
- Put enough space and distance to other people and learn to build relationship with yourself.
- Go out. Explore. Re-create and try out new things. Get out of that comfort zone.
- Invest. Just like driving, take calculated risks; may it be financially, emotionally and spiritually.
- Decide on your own, by yourself. Trust your instinct and trust yourself that you can decide well for yourself.
- Forget about the past. Forgive yourself. Decide everyday to let go and start over.
- Stop getting yourself into things that won’t help you grow.
- If plan A did not work out, try plan B. Never stop. Never settle.
- Love your body, appreciate your senses. Make time for it.
- Relax. Trust that everything is going to be perfectly fine. It may not necessarily happen now, but soon.
- Give and you shall receive.
- Love what you have now. Appreciate it. Nothing lasts forever.
- Pray, for the country, for the goodness of men, for your family and for that one guy who will be worth the long wait.
- Make time for people most important to you. And, respect the elders. They won’t be there forever.
- You may listen to what other say, but don’t let it get to you.
- Always save your energy for bigger tasks. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Apply yoga even off the mat. Breathe in, breathe out.
- Always be mindful of what you say. What has been said, will never get back to your mouth.
- And lastly, always uphold your principles. I’ve learned the hard way. Trust me.
This and more I know I can learn along the way! Now, I have few more months to an awesome new me.